Metacarpal

Metarcarpal
Workable Typeface
Digitalized handwriting of my left hand
November 2009
ADM November 2009 Semester Show


"Metarcarpal" is a workable typeface designed based on my handwriting of my left hand.

I am ambidextrous; or more accurately, I am born left-handed, but I was trained by my parents to be right-handed in early childhood. Although I demonstrate a high degree of ambidexterity, my left hand writing remains at the standard of primary school level. Nevertheless, my left hand is still the preferred and dominant hand to perform tasks and carrying heavy objects. My left hand is also heavily utilized for playing musical instruments and driving of cars and bikes.

Furthermore, I have a unique (pencil) grip. I would hold a pen with the tip of my thumb and index finger, resting the pen on the 2nd joint of my index finger. I believe that my grip has an influence on my handwriting.

In February 2007, I fractured my left 3rd metacarpal during an accident in army. As such, my left hand was cast for 3 months. Although I regained back much control and mobility of my left hand through multiple occupation therapy sessions, there is still signs of muscle atrophy, aching and inflexibility. Therefore, I would like to digitalize my current left hand writing as a documentation.


Metacarpal glyphs


Poster promoting my Metacarpal typeface
A2 (42cm × 59.4cm)
Photogram with digital manipulation, printed on transparency

Labels: ,

Metacarpal   © Boon Ping (Wenbin) 2024. All rights reserved.